Youth Start is an initiative that calls on entrepreneurial young Capetonians to submit their innovative ideas to the City. The top entrants receive funding and support. We needed to draw as many entries as possible and drive awareness of the project.
- The first #YouthStartCT Challenge ran in 2016, with moderate success
- Potential #YouthStartCT entrants may lack internet access and access to #YouthStartCT information
- Only 40% of young people aged between 20-24 have a matric certificate
- Temporary employment in the low skill sector in Cape Town is high while there is requirement for more highly skilled workers
- Unemployment rate for those aged between 20-24 at 40,32%
- The “hustle” and being an entrepreneur are aspirational concepts for our audience
- We engaged a series of ambassadors who were seen as opinion leaders by our audience – using their social currency to drive our messaging
- Previous #YouthStart winners were also used as influencers. We showed how the initiative had benefitted them and made a tangible difference in their lives and to their communities
- The campaign ran across the following channels
- social media (using campaign messages as well as influencers)
- on the ground activations
- promotional items
The campaign gave us an advertising equivalent value of R4 350 931 and trended three times on twitter.